In vitro Anti-ulcer potential of Raphanus sativus L. seeds
Keywords:Anti- urease; Helicobacter pylori; Raphanus sativus.
Background: Raphanus sativus L. is an indigenous plant that is traditionally used to treat peptic ulcer. Objective: This study assessed anti- Helicobacter pylori, antioxidant, and anti-urease activities of R. sativus seeds. Methods: this study targeted in-vitro model. The antioxidant activity of the methanol extract and n-butanol, aqueous, n- hexane and chloroform fractions of R. sativus seeds was determined using DPPH. Moreover, the inhibitory effects of the extract and fractions on the activity of urease and antibacterial activity against Helicobacter pylori were also evaluated. Results: The crude extract as well as its derived n-butanol fraction exhibited higher (IC50: 45 and 31 µg/mL respectively) DPPH inhibition activity and inhibition of urease (IC50: 75.0 and 55.9 µg/mL respectively) while aqueous extract inhibited H. pylori strongly (MIC50: 15 µg/mL). Conclusion: Collectively, our data show that R. sativus extract and fractions possess antioxidant, anti- H. pylori and anti-urease potential. The traditional uses of R. sativus as anti-ulcer, might be due to its anti-urease activity.
2. Amin M, Iqbal MS, Hughes RW, Khan SA, Reynolds PA, Enne VI, et al. Mechanochemical synthesis and in vitro anti- Helicobacter pylori and uresase inhibitory activities of novel zinc (II)-famotidine complex. J Enzyme Inhib Med Chem. 2010;25(10):383-90.
3. Mégraud F, Lehn N, Lind T, Bayerdörffer E, O’Morain C, Spiller R, et al. Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing ofHelicobacter pylori in a Large Multicenter Trial: the MACH 2 Study. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1999;43(11): 2747-52.
4. Mégraud F. The challenge of Helicobacter pylori resistance to antibiotics: the comeback of bismuth-based quadruple therapy. Therap Adv Gastroenterol. 2012;5(2):103-9.
5. Awaad AS, El-Meligy RM, Soliman GA. Natural products in treatment of ulcerative colitis and peptic ulcer. J Saudi Chem Soc. 2013;17:101-24.
6. Amin M, Anwar F, Naz F, Mehmood T, Saari N. Anti-Helicobacter pylori and urease inhibition activities of some traditional medicinal plants. Molecules. 2013;18(2):2135-49.
7. Alqasoumi S, Al-Yahya M, Al-Howiriny T, Rafatullah S. Gastroprotective effect of radish “Raphanus sativus” L. on experimental gastric ulcer models in rats. Farmacia. 2008;56(2):204-14. 8. Ahn M, Koh R, Kim GO, Shin T. Aqueous extract of purple Bordeaux radish, Raphanus sativus L. ameliorates ethanol-induced gastric injury in rats. Orient Pharm Exp Med 2013;13:247-52.
Ghouri et al.
International Journal of Natural Medicine and Health Sciences(IJNMS)
9. Devaraj V, Krishna BG, Viswanatha G, Prasad VS, Babu SV. Protective effect of leaves of Raphinus sativus Linn on experimentally induced gastric ulcers in rats. Saudi Pharm J. 2011;19(3): 171-6.
10. Abbasi WM, Ahmad S, Perveen S, Rehman T. Preliminary phytochemical analysis and in vivo evaluation of antipyretic effects of hydromethanolic extract of Cleome scaposa leaves. eJTCM. 2018;8(1):147-9.
11. Houghton P, Raman A. Laboratory handbook for the fractionation of natural extracts: Springer Science & Business Media; 2012.
12. Meléndez NP, Nevárez-Moorillón V, Rodríguez-Herrera R, Espinoza JC, Aguilar C, Obal N. A microassay for quantification of 2, 2- diphenyl-1-picrylhydracyl (DPPH) free radical scavenging. Afr J Biochem. 2014;8:14-8.
13. Ahmad S, Hassan A, Rehman T, Basit A, Tahir A, Arshad MA. In vitro Bioactivity of Extracts from Seeds of Cassia absus L. Growing in Pakistan. J Herb Med. 2019:100258.
14. Zaman MM, Shaad MA, Ahmad S, Abbasi WM, Rehman T. Comparative analysis of antibacterial activity of povidone iodine and homoeopathic mother tinctures as antiseptics. Indian J Res Homoeopathy. 2016;10(1):36-41.
15. Rehman T, Ahmad S, Abbasi WM, Ahmad A, Bilal M, Zaman Mm, et al. Evaluation of antibacterial and carbonic anhydrase inhibitory potential of methanolic extract of nardostachys jatamansi (d. Don) dc rhizomes. Acta Pol Pharm. 2017;74(5):1471-6.
16. Mishra BB, Tiwari VK. Natural products: an evolving role in future drug discovery. Eur J Med Chem. 2011;46(10):4769-807.
17. Ahmad S, Rehman T, Abbasi WM, Zaman MM. Analysis of antioxidant activity and total phenolic content of some homeopathic mother tinctures. Indian J Res Homeopathy. 2017;11(1): 21-25.
18. Zhang H-Y, Yang D-P, Tang G-Y. Multipotent antioxidants: from screening to design. Drug Discov Today. 2006;11(15-16):749-54.
19. Balouiri M, Sadiki M, Ibnsouda SK. Methods for in vitro evaluating antimicrobial activity: A review. J Pharm Anal. 2016;6(2):71-9. 20. Ahmad S, Hassan A, Abbasi WM, Rehman T. Phytochemistry and pharmacological potential of Cassia absus – a review. J Pharm Pharmacol. 2018;70(1):27-41.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2021, International Journal of Natural Medicine and Health Sciences licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.